Preparation: 15 minutes | Cooking Time: 60 Minutes | Total Time: 1hr 15mins
Makes 4 servings | Kitchen Equipment: Large frying pan, 9×9 square baking dish
Make brussels sprouts a fan-favourite at your next family dinner with this Brussels Sprouts Gratin. A combination of brussels sprouts, gruyere and bacon in a creamy sauce, with a hint of thyme, then baked with a crispy topping. This is a perfect side-dish to accompany your turkey or ham dinner.
2 lbs brussels sprouts, cut into halves
3 slices of bacon, chopped into 1 inch pieces
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp flour
1 1/4 cup whole milk
1 tsp fresh thyme
1 cup + 1/2 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F.
- Turn your frying pan to medium heat and add chopped bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally until the bacon is crispy and brown, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the bacon from the pan onto a paper towel to drain. Drain the fat from the frying pan, leaving 1 tbsp in the pan.
- Add the garlic and brussels sprouts to the pan, sautéeing for 6-8 minutes until the brussels sprouts are a little bit browned but still green.
- Add 1 tbsp flour to the pan and stir to combine well, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Then add 1 cup of whole milk, 1 tsp thyme, salt and pepper and turn the heat up to medium-high. Stir for 2-3 minutes until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Stir in the bacon and 1 cup cheese until melted.
- Take the pan off the heat and pour into the baking dish. Top with 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs and the remaining 1/2 cup shredded gruyere cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown on top and bubbling.
Recipe Pro Tips:
Prepare all of your ingredients ahead of time including brussels sprouts, bacon, cheese and thyme; store in the fridge overnight for easy cooking the next day.