Preparation: 30 minutes | Cooking Time: 30 Minutes | Makes 6 breakfast muffins
Kitchen Equipment: Muffin pan for 6
Take all of your favourite flavours from breakfast and add in gruyere for the ultimate breakfast bite! Inspired by a classic quiche, these breakfast bites are full of flavour when matched with the flavours of gruyere cheese. Best part? You can customize these breakfast bites based on your personal favourite toppings and have fun while cooking!
24-30 tater tots (4-5 tater tots per muffin tin)
1-2 asparagus stalks, sliced thin
2-3 sundried tomatoes, chopped
1-2 slices of bacon, cooked & chopped
2-3 baby tomatoes, chopped
2 tbsp chicken, shredded
2 tbsp chives, chopped
2/3 cup gruyere cheese, shredded (separate into two 1/3 cup portions)
Salt and pepper
Optional: hot sauce
- Take out your tater tots for a half hour to defrost.
- Pre-heat oven to 425F and grease 6 of your muffin tins.
- Using a spoon, mash 4-5 tater tots in each muffin tin, using the spoon to press the tater tots firmly to the bottom and up the side of each muffin tin (you can also use your fingers to press the tater tots tightly into the bottom and sides of the muffin tin).
- Bake the tater tot muffin shells in the oven for 12-15 minutes, until they start to brown around the edges.
- While the tater tot cups are baking, prepare all of your breakfast bite ingredients.
- Once your tater tot cups are done baking, turn your oven down to 350F.
- To make each breakfast bite, divide 1/3 cup gruyere cheese between the 6 tater tot muffin cups. Then add in 1 egg per cup – either crack the egg in whole OR lightly scramble the egg first, then pour into the tater tot cup.
- Next, add in a pinch of each of your toppings of choice – here are some delicious combinations:
- Whole egg + cheese + chives
- Whole egg + cheese + bacon + hot sauce (once cooked)
- Scrambled egg + cheese
- Scrambled egg + cheese + baby tomatoes + asparagus + spinach
- Scrambled egg + cheese + bacon + asparagus
- Scrambled egg + cheese + chicken + sundried tomato + spinach
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper and divide remaining 1/3 cup of cheese to top the 6 breakfast bites.
- Bake in the oven at 350F for 18-20 minutes, until egg whites are set.
- Cool for 5 minutes before trying to remove from the pan.
Recipe Pro Tips:
These breakfast bites allow for an endless amount of customizing with your toppings! Need to make them cheese free? Simply omit the cheese and add in the rest of your toppings of choice.
You can prep all of the toppings ingredients ahead of time and then your guests can add in their favourites before baking.