Preparation: 10-15 minutes | Total Time: 45 minutes | Serves 8-10 as an appetizer
4 cups washed and chopped fresh spinach
2 cups chopped artichoke hearts*
6 oz crab meat*
3 cloves garlic (minced finely)
8 oz softened cream cheese*
3 tbsp sour cream
2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
3 cups grated Le Gruyère cheese
Jalapeno diced finely* (optional)
Tortilla chips or crackers for serving
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF.
2. Saute spinach in a pan until spinach is wilted, drain if there is any water that comes from the spinach as it cooks down.
3. In a mixing bowl, mix together spinach, artichoke, crab, garlic, cream cheese, sour cream, jalapeno, and 2 cups grated Le Gruyère cheese.
4. Spread mixture into an oven safe baking dish.
5. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
6. Remove from oven, add remaining grated Le Gruyère cheese on top, return to the oven for another 5-10 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and golden brown.
7. Serve with chips or crackers.
- Many spinach and artichoke dip recipes call for frozen spinach. We prefer using fresh but it’s fine to use frozen spinach if readily available.
- We use marinated artichoke hearts often found in jars at local Italian stores but canned artichoke found at your local supermarket will work too.
- We recommend using crab claw meat for this recipe.
- Old Bay and crab is a classic combination, but if Old Bay isn’t in your pantry, skip the spice or use a dash of celery salt, paprika, and thyme as a substitute.
- Want to add a spicy kick? Add more chopped jalapeno or a pinch of chili flakes.
- Soften cream cheese by leaving it on the counter in room temperature for 15 minutes or cook for 15-20 in a microwave.