Preparation: 20 minutes | Cooking Time: 20 Minutes | Total Time: 40 Minutes
Makes 21-24 aebelskivers | Kitchen Equipment: aebelskiver pan, small frying pan, mixing bowls, wooden skewers (2)
Aebelskivers are a traditional pancake, shaped like a sphere and are delightfully light and fluffy. These delicious pancake bites can be made sweet or savoury and this savoury recipe is the perfect addition to any brunch menu. These aebekskivers are filled with crispy prosciutto and kaltbach cave-aged gruyere, then topped with fresh thyme for the ultimate savoury brunch bite and are perfect for sharing!
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs, separated
3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted & cooled slightly
1/3 cup prosciutto, finely chopped and crispy from sauteing
21 half-inch cubes of kaltbach cave-aged gruyere
Sprigs of thyme and fresh thyme leaves
- Prepare the prosciutto by chopping finely and then cooking in a small frying pan until crisp, about 5-6 minutes.
- Prepare your cheese cubes and set aside.
- In one mixing bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients – flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda.
- Separate your eggs, setting your yolks aside and egg whites into a mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer.
- Whisk together your buttermilk, egg yolks and 2 tbsp of the melted butter.
- Then, using a wooden spoon, add the egg yolk mixture to your dry ingredients and stir until only a few lumps remain.
- In the bowl with the egg whites, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form OR use a stand mixer to do this and set aside.
- Next, use a spatula to gently fold in the egg whites to the batter mixture until combined.
- Make sure to have your crispy prosciutto, kaltbach cubes and a tablespoon ready to cook the aebelskivers.
- Warm the aebelskiver pan to medium heat and brush each divot of the pan with butter.
- As soon as the butter in the pan starts to bubble, spoon in 1 tbsp into each divot then working quickly add a generous pinch (about 1/2 – 1 tsp) of crispy prosciutto and one cube of cheese to the batter, then top with another 1 tbsp of batter.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, then use two bamboo skewers to rotate each aebelskiver and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the dough.
- Repeat the process until all of the batter has been used. Then serve warm with a sprinkling of fresh thyme.
Recipe Pro Tips:
- If you don’t have wooden skewers to turn the aebelskivers in the pan, you could use a small fork or two spoons to help turn each one.
- Turn the oven to 200F and the aebelskivers warm while you are cooking each batch